Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 1 - The Trip Begins


 
It's official, I have become a blogger.
Disclaimer: I am not now, nor have I ever been a writer. This is purely a blog for my family and friends to experience some of my upcoming journey, and also so my mother doesn't worry as much.

SO today is the day! It's about 1 am and I feel like I'm going to have a little trouble sleeping. Today  I officially start my 3 month journey in Tanzania. One of my favorite quotes of all time is as follows: 
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!"   - Henry David Thoreau
Traveling 8,000+ miles away from home and everything I have ever known is something that I could have never imagined myself doing.   If someone were to tell me 3 years ago that I would be finishing my doctorate program in physical therapy and leaving to spend 11 weeks in Tanzania I would have laughed in their face. This isn't the type of thing I would normally do, but I like to think that I have grown a lot over the past few years, and am looking forward to living this new life and enjoying all the wonderful and possibly horrible things I may experience.   I know I am going to miss my family and friends (and Chris especially), but I am excited for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Packing for this trip has been quite an adventure in itself.  When people asked me if I was nervous for my trip, I most often thought of all the packing I hadn't done and worried about how I was going to fit everything into two bags and a carry on.  I somehow had to find space for my clothes after packing all of my goodies to bring over to the kiddos I will be working with. Huge thank you goes out to my wonderful mother and the amazing faculty at Monroe Elementary school for donating items! Attached are some pictures of the process I went through to pack everything.  I probably overpacked, like I do for every trip I ever take. Also, a huge thanks to my brother and sis-in-law for lending me some of their outdoor/trekking/backpacking gear.

You can never have enough hand sanitizer.



 
Notice the throwback teenie beanies from McDonalds.... mint condition/never opened and ready for some kids to enjoy!




So now I have officially completed by first blog post. I'm not quite sure how often I will have access to internet, but I hope to update this frequently, as I am sure I will have numerous photos and wonderful experiences to share!! 

- K

No comments:

Post a Comment