Thursday, January 17, 2013

Homesick =(

Today was a sad day. Aside from missing my family and friends while being in Africa I haven't felt homesick quite yet,  until now.

My Grandma was a fabulous woman and I know that she is happy now that she is at peace and with my Grandpa again. I would love to be sharing great memories and grieving in the midst of family at this time, but being so far away doesn't really give me that option. I hope that the work I'm doing in Africa will make them both proud and I'm sure that they know how much I love them and think about them. 

Aside from being incredibly sad when I started my workday, the people at CCBRT are amazing, supportive, and kind people. Even though we don't speak a mutual language, I got a very kind "pole, pole, pole sana" (very much sorry).

After our Swahili lesson today, Krista and I drank a beer to celebrate my Grandma's life.


We also had a very special candlelit dinner (due to the multiple power outages per night). It was quite an adventure.


- K

1 comment:

  1. I am just now catching up on your blog. We missed you dearly at Grandma's funeral. I was so touched the day she talked to you on the phone before you left for Africa. She was trying so hard not to cry. She was so very excited for you and yes...worried that you would be so far away. Carol and I heard the words that she was very proud of you and I know that grandma and grandpa are now your guardian angels as you continue your journey. Much love to you Kelly!

    ReplyDelete