Sunday, January 27, 2013

Meserani Snake Park

Today Krista and I took an adventure to Arusha to go to the Meserani Snake Park. Finding a bus was pretty easy, but it took about 2 hours to get to Arusha. Then we had to figure out where the snake park was. We ended up just getting a taxi to drive us out there, wait for us, and then drive us back to the bus station. Once we got into the park, there were several different types of snakes and some other animals too. We had a guide to tell us all about the snakes, and we ended up holding one too!



Some of the snakes that we saw. There were so many of them, all different sizes. We also saw some owls, a vulture, a yellow baboon, some crocodiles, and some turtles.


I have to laugh because although I was slightly afraid of the snake, I was more irritated by the tail that was whipping me in the face and almost went into my mouth!
Baby crocodile!




We then took a tour through the Masai Museum, and learned about the Masai people and their culture. After the  museum, there was a Masai market, which was essentially just a dozen or more huts with little souvenirs in. We ended our trip with a ride on a camel!

Women in the tribe build the huts out of sticks, cow dung, mud, and water. Inside of the hut you can see a couple of brown jugs, they use these to hold the mixture of milk and cow blood that they drink.
Men in the tribe (and sometimes women) are circumcised after age 15. They are not allowed to show any signs of pain or weakness or they are banned from the tribe and are never allowed to get married.
They make their own type of beer from honey, aloe vera leaves, water, and sugar.








- K

2 comments:

  1. Ha I love the last pic of the camel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just found your blog, great pictures. Hope you enjoyed your time at the Park. I go to the park once a year, it's my mother and father in laws place. I'm off again in July, can't wait.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete